Kevin F. Barrett
Attorney At Law
Tel. (510) 227-5551
San Francisco, California
Tel. (415) 871-4422
I have been practicing law since 1988.
Transactional, Financing and Contract Matters
I have vast experience handling a wide variety of transactional and contract matters. This includes financing and preparing all contracts needed by new companies.
I have represented over 100 start-up companies, and have negotiated and prepared all their contracts, including independent contractor, employment, stock transfer, licensing, trademarks, copyrights, non-disclosure, joint venture, LLC operating agreements, corporate formation and prepared many private placements of equity and many filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Litigation, Trials and Disputes
I also have vast experience with litigation. I have taken three cases to trial (federal and state courts) and have taken 50 cases to arbitration and 22 cases to federal administrative hearings (mini-trials). I have taken over 200 depositions. I have represented both plaintiffs and defendants in hundreds of litigated matters. The matters have included contract disputes, severe and moderate personal injuries, property damage, elder abuse (financial), bankruptcy (including taking an adversary proceeding case to trial and successful verdict), Social Security Disability Appeals Claims in federal court (won 18 out of 22), and insurance coverage disputes.
- University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., 1987
- San Diego State University, B.S. in Marketing, 1982
- University of California at Los Angeles, Film, TV & Video Production Certificate Program, 1991-1993
- University of California at Los Angeles, M.B.A., 1995
- State Bar of California, since 1988
- Moderated panel on Social Media and Entertainment, at Awaken Cafe, Oakland, CA, 2015
- Guest lecturer in Commercial Law at Boise State University’s College of Business and Economics, 2010 and 2011
- Speaker, Warrants & Mezzanine Debt, Seafirst Bank, Seattle, WA, 1999
- Speaker, Mergers & Acquisitions, University of Portland MBA Program, 1998
- Moderated panel on Trade Secrets and the Internet, Bar Association of San Francisco, 1996
- Negotiated TV series deal for host with major cable TV production company.
- Negotiated documentary film production deals.
- Negotiated film production and financing agreements.
- Successfully prepared, filed and cleared over 30 registration statements with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission for a wide variety of businesses, including women’s clothing, canned fish, electric bicycles, geothermal power and mines.
- Prepared over 35 private placement equity offerings.
- International Licensing Field Study for Walt Disney Company, Consumer Products Division, analyzing licensing relationships and profitability.
I was born in Oakland and live in Alameda, California. I have also practiced law in Los Angeles, Seattle, Denver and New York City. And, I am a published photographer.