Kevin F. Barrett
Attorney At Law
California, Washington, Colorado and New York
Tel. (415) 871-4422
Transactional, Financing and Contract Matters
I have vast experience handling a wide variety of transactional and contract matters. This includes financing and preparing all contracts needed by new companies.
I have represented over 100 start-up companies, and have negotiated and prepared all their contracts, including independent contractor, employment, stock transfer, licensing, trademarks, copyrights, non-disclosure, joint venture, LLC operating agreements, corporate formation and prepared many private placements of equity and many filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Litigation, Trials and Disputes
I also have vast experience with litigation. I have taken three cases to trial (federal and state courts) and have taken 50 cases to arbitration and 22 cases to federal administrative hearings (mini-trials). I have taken hundreds of depositions. I have represented both plaintiffs and defendants in hundreds of litigated matters. These matters include contract disputes, fatalities, severe and moderate personal injuries, property damage, elder abuse (financial), bankruptcy (including taking an adversary proceeding case to trial and successful verdict), representing severely disabled people in appellate cases before the Office of Disability Adjudication and Review of the Social Security Administration in federal courts (won 18 out of 22 appellate cases), and insurance coverage disputes. Most recent trial success in 2019, Lopes v. Paragon Systems, Inc. (San Jose Superior Court Case No. 17CV311622); Obtained a defense verdict plus costs for client Paragon Systems, a leading national security service firm providing security to many critical federal agencies.
- University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., 1987
- San Diego State University, B.S. in Business Administration, emphasis in Marketing, 1982
- University of California at Los Angeles, Film, TV & Video Production Certificate Program, 1991-1993
- University of California at Los Angeles, M.B.A., 1995
Attorney Bar Memberships
- California, since 1988
- Washington, since 2007
- Colorado, since 1989
- New York, since 2007
- Moderated panel on Social Media and Entertainment, at Awaken Cafe, Oakland, CA, 2015
- Guest lecturer in Commercial Law at Boise State University’s College of Business and Economics, 2010 and 2011
- Speaker, Warrants & Mezzanine Debt, Seafirst Bank, Seattle, WA, 1999
- Speaker, Mergers & Acquisitions, University of Portland MBA Program, 1998
- Moderated panel on Trade Secrets and the Internet, Bar Association of San Francisco, 1996
- Negotiated TV series deal for host with major cable TV production company.
- Negotiated documentary film production deals.
- Negotiated film production and financing agreements.
- Successfully prepared, filed and cleared over 30 registration statements with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission for a wide variety of businesses, including women’s clothing, canned fish, electric bicycles, geothermal power and mines.
- Prepared over 35 private placement equity offerings.
- International Licensing Field Study for Walt Disney Company, Consumer Products Division, analyzing licensing relationships and profitability.