Kevin F. Barrett
Attorney At Law
California, Washington, Colorado and New York
Tel. (415) 871-4422
Financing and Contract Matters
Vast experience handling a wide variety of financing and contract matters. This includes financing and preparing all contracts needed by new companies.
I have represented over 100 start-up companies, and have negotiated and prepared all their contracts, including independent contractor, employment, stock transfer, licensing, trademarks, copyrights, non-disclosure, joint venture, LLC operating agreements, corporate formation and prepared many private placements of equity and many filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Litigation, Trials and Disputes
Vast experience with litigation. I have taken three cases to trial (federal and state courts) and have taken 50 cases to arbitration, and taken 22 cases to federal administrative hearings (trials in federal courts). I have taken hundreds of depositions. I have represented both plaintiffs and defendants in hundreds of litigated matters. These matters include contract disputes, fatalities, severe and moderate personal injuries, property damage, elder abuse (financial), bankruptcy (including taking an adversary proceeding case to trial and successful verdict), representing severely disabled people in appellate cases before the Office of Disability Adjudication and Review of the Social Security Administration in federal courts (won 18 out of 22 of these appellate cases), and have resolved hundreds of insurance coverage disputes. Most recent trial success was in 2019, Lopes v. Paragon Systems, Inc. (San Clara County Superior Court Case No. 17CV311622); Obtained a defense verdict plus costs for client Paragon Systems, a leading national security service firm providing security to many critical federal agencies.
Sample U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Filings for Public Equity Offerings
To view samples of the public record of my SEC public equity offering work and writing samples go to www.sec.gov and look for the following filings that I prepared and filed with the SEC (my name appears on the first page of the registration statement filings):
For Nevada Geothermal Power Inc., Annual Reports, and Amendments thereto, on Form 20-F filed December 1, 2009, August 6, 2008, July 8, 2008, January 22, 2008, January 15, 2008, September 25, 2007 and May 25, 2007;
For Golden Phoenix Minerals, Inc., two separate Post-Effective Amendment No. 1s on Form S-1 filed October 29, 2008 (covering different securities) and a Form S-1 filed May 9, 2008, Form S-1 April 4, 2008, Form SB-2 January 18, 2008, Proxy Statements filed July 30, 2008 and August 16, 2007;
For Remedent, Inc., a Post-Effective Amendment No. 2 to Form SB-2 filed October 31, 2007 and November 1, 2007;
For Piedmont Mining Company, Inc., Proxy Statements filed October 29, 2007 and June 27, 2008, 10-KSBs filed March 31, 2008 and April 5, 2007;
For Vivid Learning Systems, Inc., two Form SB-2s filed on January 31, 2006 and February 4, 2005, Form SB-2 filed November 12, 2004 and June 8, 2004;
For Spectrum Sciences & Software Holding Corp., a Form 10-SB filed on November 4, 2003, October 24, 2003 and August 20, 2003;
For ZAP Power Systems, Inc., a Form SB-2 filed May 14, 1998 and December 3, 1997; and
For Pacific Coast Apparel Company, Inc., a Form SB-2 filed and cleared in 1996 (pre EDGAR for Form SB-2s).
- University of San Diego School of Law, J.D.
- San Diego State University, B.S. in Business Administration.
- University of California at Los Angeles, M.B.A.
Attorney Bar Membership
- New York
- Moderated panel on Social Media and Entertainment, at Awaken Cafe, Oakland, CA, 2015
- Guest lecturer in Commercial Law at Boise State University’s College of Business and Economics, 2010 and 2011
- Speaker, Warrants & Mezzanine Debt, Seafirst Bank, Seattle, WA, 1999
- Speaker, Mergers & Acquisitions, University of Portland MBA Program, 1998
- Moderated panel on Trade Secrets and the Internet, Bar Association of San Francisco, 1996
- Negotiated TV series deal for host with major cable TV production company.
- Negotiated documentary film production deals.
- Negotiated film production and financing agreements.
- Successfully prepared, filed and cleared over 30 registration statements with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission for a wide variety of businesses, including women’s clothing, canned fish, electric bicycles, geothermal power and mines.
- Prepared over 35 private placement equity offerings.
- International Licensing Field Study for Walt Disney Company, Consumer Products Division, analyzing licensing relationships and profitability.
- Past President of the San Francisco Chapter of U.C.L.A. Anderson Alumni Association.